Saturday 5 May 2012

Featured Artist: Siobhán Gallagher







Hello there! Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Hello! Well, my name is Siobhán Gallagher, I'm 22 and just recently completed my Bachelor of Design at NSCAD University. I'm a designer + illustrator, a lover of movies (The Graduate,Annie Hall, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind are a few favorites), a bibliophile, and a fan of Lucky Charms.

 What are you currently working on right now?

Well, I just wrapped up the biggest project of my design career so far: a semester-long undertaking for my school involving the design of the 2012 Graduation Catalogue, a book for graduating students to showcase their work. This meant creating a variety of unique cover design concepts to pitch to the school president and then develop an entire theme for the rest of the book based on the selected design. Though this part is finished and the catalogues have been printed and delivered, I now have to design all of the accompanying collateral for both the grad catalogue and the grad exhibition (this includes the posters, invites, buttons, and window vinyl). Phew! On top of that, I've got some branding and editorial freelance projects for local organizations. I just like to keep myself busy!

Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?

In ten years, I will be 32. Whoa. I hope to be working in a fun, big city in a Senior Designer position with a nice li'l family. I hope to have a lot more design work under my belt by that point and hopefully have established a name for myself. 

What drew you to illustration?

I had always loved drawing but hated the strict rules that you're taught in high school art class and basic drawing classes: perspective, shading, charcoal. I love to draw but hate the pressure to make things look "realistic" so illustration gives me the freedom to draw how I want and be happy with the results on my own standards rather than a pre-determined set of rules.

Would you mind sharing a little about your creative process with us?

Well, I illustrate entirely digitally but use my sketchbook for initial ideas and testing how things would work. Then I scan my sketchbook pages (or, the poor man's scanner: snap a picture in Photo Booth) and drop them into Illustrator, where I draw over the sketch with the pen tool and make it look more symmetrical or experiment with colours. I'm an Illustrator fiend. I've been using Photoshop lately to incorporate textures and whatnot into the illustrations, but I just love my vectors.

 Where are you located?

I am, for the next two weeks, living in Halifax, Nova Scotia, but am moving to New York in June! I recently found out I got a design internship with Penguin US so I am itching to move to New York in just a matter of weeks.



Links

Website: http://www.siobhan-gallagher.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/siogallagher

No comments:

Post a Comment